HZMB Main Bridge
The HZMB Main Bridge runs from the artificial island off Gongbei of Zhuhai to the eastern artificial island for the tunnel section just west of the HKSAR boundary.
The project includes a 29.6 km dual 3-lane carriageway in the form of bridge-cum-tunnel structure comprising a tunnel of about 6.7 km; two artificial islands for the tunnel landings west of the HKSAR boundary; and associated works including civil and structural works, environmental mitigation, drainage, electrical and mechanical, traffic control and surveillance system, etc.
Construction of the HZMB Main Bridge commenced in December 2009 and the completion date is under review.
For the construction cost of the HZMB Main Bridge, the total contribution of the three places (Hong Kong, Mainland and Macao) will be RMB¥15.73 billion, among which the Government of the Hong Kong SAR will contribute RMB¥6.75 billion. The Legislative Council Finance Committee has approved $9,280 million (in MOD prices) for preliminary design, site investigation, detailed design and construction of the HZMB Main Bridge.
“Transport Linkage between Hong Kong and Pearl River West” was completed and confirmed the urgent need for the construction of a land transport link between the HKSAR and the Pearl River West.
The HZMB Advance Work Coordination Group (AWCG) was established.
The AWCG commissioned the China Highway Planning and Design Institute (HPDI) to conduct a feasibility study for the HZMB.
The expert panel organized by the National Development & Reform Commission (NDRC) agreed the three HZMB landing points at San Shek Wan of Hong Kong SAR, Gongbei of Zhuhai and A Pérola of Macao SAR, and also recommended to adopt the Northern bridge-cum-tunnel alignment option.
The HZMB Task Force led by the NDRC was established. The Task Force recommended that the Boundary Crossing Facilities of each government should be set up within their own respective territories.
The three governments agreed on the scope of the HZMB Main Bridge project and to be responsible for the construction, operation and maintenance of their own boundary crossing facilities and associated link roads.
The three governments agreed to take up the responsibility for the construction of the HZMB Main Bridge. The project cost will be shared according to an agreed principle of Equalization of Benefit to Cost Ratio where Hong Kong will bear 50.2% of the cost, Guangdong 35.1% and Macao 14.7%.
The Mainland (including Central People’s Government support), the HKSAR and the Macao SAR governments will contribute RMB￥7.0 billion, RMB￥6.75 billion and RMB￥1.98 billion respectively to the project cost of the Main Bridge.
The total contributions from the three sides will be RMB 15.73 billion, which is about 42% of the project cost of the Main Bridge. The remaining 58% will be financed by loans.
The HZMB Feasibility Study Report was submitted to Central People’s Government for approval.
Contract of HZMB Main Bridge – preliminary design and site investigation was signed. Commencement Ceremony was held and the preliminary design and site investigation was formally commenced.
Bank of China was selected as the leading bank and will provide loan commitment letter for fulfilling the requirement for approval of the HZMB feasibility study report.
The Central People’s Government approved the HZMB Feasibility Study Report.
Reclamation works for Zhuhai-Macao Boundary Crossing Facilities including necessary reclamation works for the west landing point and toll plaza of HZMB Main Bridge commenced. The HZMB construction commencement ceremony chaired by Vice-Premier, Mr. Li Keqiang, was held in Zhuhai on 15 Dec 2009.
The 3 governments signed an inter-governmental agreement to specify the partnership arrangements between the three governments as well as their rights and responsibilities in respect of the construction, operation, maintenance and management of the HZMB Main Bridge.
The Ministry of Transport approved the preliminary design for HZMB Main Bridge.
Joint Works Committee of the Three Governments was established.
HZMB Authority was established on 27.07.2010
For the current situation of the Main Bridge, please visit the website of the Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Authority: http://www.hzmb.org/en/default.asp
- Legislative Council Transport Panel Paper
- Meeting on 24 April 2009: Hong Kong – Zhuhai – Macao Bridge : Main Bridge and Hong Kong Boundary Crossing Facilities [CB(1)1337/08-09(03)] ( 3.5MB)
- Issued on 9 March 2010: Administration's paper on latest progress of Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge Main Bridge [CB(1)1354/09-10(01)] ( 611KB)
- Legislative Council Public works Subcommittee Paper
- Meeting on 06 May 2009: Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macao Bridge – funding support for Main Bridge [PWSC(2009-10)17]
For documents in 2008 or before, please visit Document Archive page.